Sunday, January 22, 2012

Robert E. Howard - 106th Birthday

   I sadly missed Clark Ashton Smith's birthday the other week, not so with REH.  You can't say too much about Howard and his work, on its own and in relation to swords & sorcery.  Fantasy, horror, westerns, boxing, crime, adventure, he tried it all and pulled it off way more times than not.
   I just reread "Marchers of Valhalla" the other day, a story I go back to all the time.  Maybe I'll read "Worms of the Earth", another personal favorite today in REH's honor and for my enjoyment.  Thank you, sir.

4 comments:

  1. "Worms of the Earth" is the story I recommend to folks who have never read REH. It's an amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well said, Wasp. I have been a fan of Howard for many years, first with the Conan Ace paperbacks, and now I have read most of his historical, S&S and two-fisted adventure. Bran Mak Morn and Cormac Mac Art are my favorites, and Worms of the Earth is one of the best stories I have ever read.

      Happy B-day, Bob.

      Delete
  3. I reread 'Queen of the Black Coast' for today and I'll probably go reread 'The Black Stone' as well.

    ReplyDelete

.