Thursday, February 20, 2014

Mailbag

A bunch of new purchases that I'll only get around to reading slowly. Still, I had some Amazon credit and why waste it on household goods when there are books to buy?

The Howard Andrew Jones edited collection of Lamb's viking and other nautically themed stories.


Bought this because Howard Jones recommended it on his site and made it sound like a blast - and it's only $1.99.


Got this because it was written by the talented Carole McDonnell and it sounds really great


I became pretty caught up with the Crusades while reading Count Bohemond. Learned about King Baldwin the Leper and his near miraculous defense of Jerusalem in 1177 and found about this book covering that battle.


Sounds fun and has a story by David West so figured it was worth a go.

6 comments:

  1. I've read both Harold Lamb (Swords from the Sea was the best collection, in my opinion, but the whole 'Swords from' series is great), and Benteen's Fargo, including the second novel, Panama. That's some good stuff you got there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I expect good things from those books, but it's always nice to hear it confirmed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for mentioning the "Shadows of a Fading World" anthology. I hope you find the stories enjoyable. Now I'm going to have to check out the Sword from the Sea collection, as well as the Carole McDonnell book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're welcome - it looks like a lot of fun. Started the McDonnell book the other day and there's a real strangeness to it i'm enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Benteen (real name Ben Haas) is one of the great adventure writers. I've recently fallen in love with his work, and cannot recommend it highly enough.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really looking forward to Fargo. Damn that Howard Andrew Jones. I've bought more books because of his blog than anywhere else in the past few months.

    ReplyDelete

.