Friday, February 14, 2014

Cool Covers for Books I Never Read



   So these books run a very high risk of stinking but I remain curious. The thing is, my dad was as big a fan as any one could be of Carter's books and had these two in one of those attic boxes I alway mention. and they always caught my eye. The Black Star is probably one of my favorite Frazetta pictures. I've got a lot of stuff I'm hoping to get to this year but I think I need to pull these out of the attic and put them on the TBR stack.


4 comments:

  1. I think Lin Carter gets entirely way too much grief. His books weren't bad and he had a pretty great imagination. This reminds me that I really need to read more of his books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unfortunately, my only experience of his fiction are his terrible Lovecraft stories and a few Thongor books which I found more disappointing than anything else. On the other hand, Adrian Cole edited together his Thongor short stories and they're top shelf fun.
    Yeah, he gets too much grief for his REH pastiches but ultimately who care anymore? Pure Howard's available and Carter should be remembered for keeping the flame alive. And he was one of the greatest fantasy editors/promoters bar none.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recall reading Time War and, unfortunately, not liking it. I don't remember why. But yes, as editor Lin Carter was a boon. And from all I've learned about his fiction, his short fiction was better than his novels. I want to read more of his stuff myself.

    ReplyDelete

.