Saturday, June 22, 2013

Another Mail Bag

  I finished off Joe Hill's very good NOS4A2.  With its jaunts across unreal landscapes and an unnatural automobile, there's more than a hint (not unwelcome) of some of his father Stephen King's stories.  While not especially scary, and admittedly I find few spook-stories scary, it's chock full of unsettling moments and characters.
   Unfortunately, reading some reviews, I found out there's a extra ending buried in the "About the Typeface" section.  Amazon saw fit to leave that out of the kindle edition and it pisses me off.  It also means I have to "stir my sticks" and go read it in Barnes & Noble.
   I'm still working through John Fultz's Revelations of Zang.  It has the same extravagant world building of Seven Princes.  I'm about a third of the way through and it's lots of fun.
   One of the most insidious things about Amazon are the recommendations it makes based on the books you've bought already.  Once I bought Black Pulp a few weeks ago, all sorts of cool pulp stuff's popped up at the bottom of my Kindle Fire.



   So I bought this just because it sounded cool.  Except for Fortier, I've never even heard of any of the authors.  Still, I figured, how much of chance can it be to buy it?




   I've read a few Murray Cthulhu Mythos stories and enjoyed the heck out of them.  I know about his long association with Doc Savage and I love King Kong, so again, how much of a risk can this one be?

2 comments:

  1. I liked this one a lot. Better than any of Murray's other Doc novels, in fact.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Read the opening and it´s a blast. Probably read the rest this week.

    ReplyDelete

.