Thursday, October 22, 2020

Barbarians at the Gates of Hollywood by P.J. Thorndyke

 It's been nearly two years since I wrote anything for Black Gate. Save a few posts here, I've not done much writing at all. Every now and then, John O'Neill, captain of the good ship Black Gate, sent me an inquiry to try to entice me back into the fold. Until last month none of them proved tempting enough. Then I got P.J. Thorndyke's Barbarians at the Gates of Hollywood.

The book is absolute gold, albeit on a subject that rarely shines: sword & sorcery movies. They're mostly tripe, but, the story around them and about their creation is fascinating. I recommend Thorndyke's book to anyone with the slightest interest in low-budget movies as well as any S&S reader looking for a great resource on, no matter what the films' quality, an important part of the genre's history.

For the full review go HERE.



2 comments:

  1. Nice review. I had been considering picking this up but wasn't sure how helpful or detailed the book would be. You put me over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! My stupid moderation protocols just showed me your comment. I'd definitely say it's worth the price had I paid for it!

      Delete

.